Kids wake me up. Run in and get them changed and ready to go. Throw my hair up and slap some makeup on. Get dressed. Get their breakfast and lunch ready. Jump in the car. Drop them off. Realize I forgot to eat breakfast. Arrive at work late. Meetings, emails, projects, oh my. Head home. Make dinner. Get work done I didn’t get done earlier. Play. Be intentional. Bedtime routine. Story, song, and pray. Kids to sleep. Clean up, unwind, and off to bed. Wake up and do it all over again.
This is what my day looks like. It usually consists of meetings at night and staying up late working on something for the ministry. Two jobs, one husband, two kids that are two and under, one house to clean, a million bills to pay, and no sanity. We do some of this to ourselves, let’s be honest. I long for a day when we aren’t so busy, but I just keep hearing that it doesn’t get better it only looks different. Thank you for that encouragement.
“You know what it’s like having a fourth kid? Imagine you’re drowning, then someone hands you a baby.” Jim Gaffigan
I feel like that with my life. If I say “yes” to one more thing, then I’ll never come back up for air. WE CAN’T DO IT ALL!
“Breathe” by Jonny Diaz
Breathe, just breathe
Come and rest at my feet
And be, just be
Chaos calls but all you really need
Is to just breathe
Here are some words of wisdom you may need to hear today if you have related to this post in any way…
- You have the ability to say “no”. No one will die. Nothing catastrophic will happen and you might actually have some time to take a shower.
- No matter how much you do, it will never be enough. You will never get the thanks you are looking for or feel fulfilled enough for all of it to be worth it.
- Spending time in deep, meaningful relationship with God is the only “thing” on your to-do list that will give you any lasting satisfaction.
- God created a place in your heart that is shaped just for Him to dwell. He wants to grow there and permeate every other part of your body so that you start to look more like Him.
- He can only live there if you move out some crap, some to-do’s, some obligations.
- You are remarkable. You don’t need titles or positions to make you feel like you have a purpose.
- Your God is longing for a deeper relationship with you. He has healthy, sweet honey that will fulfill you in every way. He has PEACE, COMFORT, JOY, and HOPE that He wants to fill you with.
John 14:27 ” Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (ESV)
About a year ago I realized that if I wanted to bless youth pastors and youth around America, then I, not only, needed Christ at the center of this ministry and my life, but I also needed Him to go before me in everything I do. That meant that I couldn’t just pray every once in awhile or crack open my dusty bible every couple of weeks. I needed full-on, totally committed, “he put a ring on it” relationship. God had to be the REASON for everything. If I missed Him in any area of my life or if I was trying to make it the “Shanan Show”, then I would miss every blessing that He has for me on this earth and every blessing He wanted to bestow upon others through me.
Schedule time with God as quickly as you schedule a meeting at work. Don’t find time for God. Make time for God. Schedule it, don’t miss the appointment, and dig deep with Him. Study His Word and be still before your God.
Psalm 46:10 “He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
In the past year I have grown so close to my God. I’m not just making it through this season in my life like a Zombie who only eats the leftovers from her daughter’s dinner as an actual meal. I’m thriving. I am not just keeping my head above water, I’m walking on water with my God. He is making a way. Do I need to say “no” more? Absolutely. Reach out to Him today and start a real relationship with the One who gave His life, so that you could have life and live it to the fullest.
John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
God doesn’t want you to survive. He wants you to live. I don’t know what you live for, but iLive 4 Christ!
~~ Encouraged by our blog? Subscribe in the form below to receive our weekly blog posts right to your inbox!~~